Tuesday, August 7, 2012

And so it begins...


As the final semester commences, so too does the pressure to succeed within the design world. I am lacking focus. My thoughts lie not within the tasks at hand, but rather the future obstacles that the completion of my degree creates. All that my life has been for the past four years is coming to an end. While I look forward to finishing my degree, I am scared to face the real world. What if I cannot find my position within the design world? What if no design firm wants me? What if I am awful? I am tormented with these hypothetical contexts and over analysis. While I understand the ‘designer’ must present themselves as confident beings (producing a positive impression), the thought of stagnant effort supersedes my ability to stay confident. I may be overreacting, but I understand that the design world is a scary place; a place that not everyone belongs; a place that I am yet to encounter. Is it wrong of me to be concerned about my future direction and where I will come?

I know within myself I am not ready to progress into my fifth year of architecture; I lack the knowledge and experience that can only be acquired through working within a design firm. I need to apply myself during my eighth semester, but I am yet to find the motivation and inspiration to distance myself from my inner monologue of supposed circumstances. At this stage, to look at possible positive outcomes appears unwarranted when there seems to be such a negative presence surrounding the possibilities of finding design work. Though, I must look on the brighter side that is Architectural Design, and the possibilities it creates.

I started my degree without knowledge of what would come or what would be required. What followed was unexpected, hard and sometimes discouraging. It has not been easy as I am sure all of my peers can agree; but it has certainly been worth it. This course has moulded me into the person I am today; I have learned to appreciate design to a much greater extent, to every minor detail. While I have not always been successful throughout design, I have learned to laugh at my failures, learn through experimentation and to design through rapid prototyping. Above all else, I have learned a lifestyle.

The poetic combination of stress and deprivation of basic life needs, trading a social life for long nights in front of a computer screen, seems to be overcome by the sense of accomplishment and success. I have learned to love this lifestyle I have chosen for myself. I thrive on the stress it creates and long for the moment when all of the hard work, long sleepless nights, and lack of social interaction comes together to form the completion of a design project. That moment of pure bliss makes it all worth it. While I might argue that this lifestyle is hard, and I have those mental breakdown sessions where it feels like the world is ending, I cannot see my life without architecture. It seems like a sick and twisted existence, but I cannot see myself living any other lifestyle. That is what architecture is, a lifestyle.  

This is what I am scared to leave behind. This is what I have grown to love but fear it may soon end. I need to focus on my studies but similarly need to search for my position within the design world. This Blog will show my progress throughout my final semester of Architectural Design (fourth year Bachelors Degree). I will attempt to keep it up-to-date with my weekly activities/reflections, and will surely upload my progress and final submissions surrounding both Assignment 1 and Assignment 2. Please, feel free to leave feedback and ask questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment